Chicken Vegetable Noodle Bake
- 1, 12-ounce package whole wheat egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 zucchini, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 large bell pepper, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2, 14.5-ounce cans low sodium diced tomatoes
- 3 ounces low-sodium mozzarella cheese
- 5 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add whole wheat egg noodles and cook according to package instructions. Drain pasta.
2. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and add olive oil. Add zucchini, onion and bell peppers. Sauté for about 15 minutes, or until soft. Season with Italian seasoning.
3. Add diced tomatoes and cream cheese to vegetables. Simmer the tomatoes for about 10 minutes, adding a few tablespoons of water to the pan if it looks dry.
4. Spray an aluminum casserole pan with cooking spray. Place a third of the vegetable sauce in the bottom of the pan. Next, layer half of the noodles and chicken. Add another layer of the vegetable sauce, the remaining noodles and chicken, top with the remaining sauce, making sure it covers all of the noodles. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze.