Chicken Vegetable Noodle Bake
- 1, 12-ounce package whole wheat egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 zucchini, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 large bell pepper, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2, 14.5-ounce cans low sodium diced tomatoes
- 3 ounces low-sodium mozzarella cheese
- 5 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add whole wheat egg
- noodles and cook according to package instructions. Drain pasta.
- 2. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and add olive oil. Add
- zucchini, onion and bell peppers. Sauté for about 15 minutes, or
- until soft. Season with Italian seasoning.
- 3. Add diced tomatoes and cream cheese to vegetables. Simmer
- the tomatoes for about 10 minutes, adding a few tablespoons of
- water to the pan if it looks dry.
- 4. Spray an aluminum casserole pan with cooking spray. Place a
- third of the vegetable sauce in the bottom of the pan. Next, layer
- half of the noodles and chicken. Add another layer of the vegetable
- sauce, the remaining noodles and chicken, top with the remaining
- sauce, making sure it covers all of the noodles. Sprinkle with
- breadcrumbs, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze.
St. John's Hospice http://saintjohnshospice.org/