- 12 ounces (6 links) low sodium turkey sausage links
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 large red bell peppers, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2, 12 ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 12 eggs
- 4 cups non-fat milk
- 2 cups low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 loaf sliced whole wheat bread, cut into cubes
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large sauté pan over
- medium heat, add olive oil. Add turkey sausage to the pan, and
- brown on all sides. Once cooked, remove from pan and allow to
- cool. Chop the sausage into bite sized pieces.
- 3. To the same pan, add bell peppers and onion. Sauté for about
- 15 minutes, or until soft. Add the spinach and cook for about 5
- minutes. Add the chopped sausage to the pan and cool.
- 4. In a large bowl, add eggs, milk and cheese. Whisk the eggs
- mixture until combined. Add bread to the wet ingredients, and allow
- the bread to soak. Add the cooled vegetables and stir to combine.
- 5. Spray an aluminum pan with cooking spray. Pour the bread and
- vegetable mixture into the pan, making sure to flatten the top into
- an even layer.
- 6. Place the casserole into the oven, and bake for about 45
- minutes, until the eggs are set and the middle looks firm. Cool the
- casserole, cover with plastic wrap and freeze.
St. John's Hospice http://saintjohnshospice.org/